Dr. R. Padmakumar
Laparoscopic & Obesity Surgeon

Endoscopic Ectopic Thyroidectomy

Endoscopic Ectopic Thyroidectomy

Ramakrishnapillai Padmakumar1, Aravind Balakrishnan2, Madhukara Pai3, Kevin J Chiramel4, Farish Shams5, Premna Subin6

Available from: https://www.wjols.com/doi/WJOLS/pdf/10.5005/jp-journals-10033-1419

Aim and objective: To show the advantage of endoscopic approach for lateral ectopic thyroid removal.

Background: Ectopic thyroid tissue lateral to midline is very rare. Because of its unusual location, lateral ectopic thyroid gland can cause diagnostic difficulties when diseased.

Case description: Here we are presenting a case of a male patient with submandibular ectopic thyroid tissue with multinodular goiter and absent thyroid tissue in normal anatomic site. He underwent endoscopic-assisted total thyroidectomy. This technique for ectopic thyroid removal has not been reported in the literature so far.

Conclusion: Endoscopic approach for removal of the diseased gland will allow for a magnified view of the adjoining structures and better cosmesis for the patient.

Clinical significance: Lateral ectopic thyroid should be in differential diagnosis of lateral neck swelling.

Keywords: Ectopic thyroid, Endoscopic, Endoscopic thyroidectomy, Minimal access surgery, Submandibular region.

Ectopic thyroid in relation with surrounding structures

Ectopic thyroid in relation with surrounding structures

Ectopic thyroid tissue usually occurs in the midline and that too most commonly in cervical region (lingual 90%).1–4 Its prevalence is approximately 1/100,000 to 1/300,000.5 The remaining ectopic thyroid glands (10%) can be found in infrahyoid, submandibular, prelaryngeal, mediastinum, esophagus, heart, diaphragm, and parapharyngeal regions. In most of the cases, the ectopic thyroid gland will be the only functioning gland. Ectopic thyroid tissue lateral to midline is very rare. These lateral ectopic thyroid tissues when diseased may lead to difficulty in diagnosis due to its unexpected location. Here we are going to present a case of a male patient with submandibular ectopic thyroid tissue with multinodular goiter and absent normal tissue in normal anatomic site. He underwent endoscopic-assisted total thyroidectomy. This technique for ectopic thyroid removal has not been reported in literature so far.

1–4Department of General and Laparoscopic Surgery, VPS Lakeshore
Hospital
and Keyhole Clinic, Kochi, Kerala, India

5,6Department of Laparoscopic Surgery, Verwandeln Institute, Kochi,
Kerala, India

Corresponding Author:

Ramakrishnapillai Padmakumar,
Department of General and Laparoscopic Surgery,
VPS Lakeshore Hospital and Keyhole Clinic, Kochi, Kerala, India,
Phone: +91 9447230370, e-mail: [email protected]

How to cite this article:
Padmakumar R, Balakrishnan A, Pai M, et al. Endoscopic Ectopic Thyroidectomy. World J Lap Surg 2020;13(3): 136–137.

Source of support: Nil
Conflict of interest: None

Contact Details

Dr. R. Padmakumar
MBBS, DNB, MNAMS, DipALS, FAIS, FIMSA, FCLS, FRCS (GL)
Senior Consultant Laparoscopic and Metabolic Surgeon &
Director - Verwandeln Institute (Transforming Lives)
CMD - Keyhole Clinic, Metro Pillar no. 448, Edappally, Kochi, Kerala, India
HOD - VPS Lakeshore Hospital, Maradu, Kochi, Kerala, India
(Specialist in Laparoscopy, Hernia, Cancer, Obesity Surgery or Bariatric Surgery, Diabetes Surgery, Endoscopic Thyroid Surgery, Thoracoscopy, Intragastric Balloon)
www.drrpadmakumar.com
Mobile: +919447230370, +919846320370
Email: [email protected]

Past Chairman, Association of Surgeons of India - Kerala Chapter, 2019 - 2020
National President - Indian Hernia Society (2016)
GC Member, Association of Surgeons of India (2013 - 2018)
Vice President- Society of Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Surgeons of India
Jt. Secretary - Indian Association of Endocrine Surgeons (2016)
Founder Member, Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society Of India
Founder Member, Association of Minimal Access Surgeons of India
International Faculty of IASGO on Hernia and Diabetic Surgery
International Faculty of IFSO on Diabetic Surgery
Associate Editor : Diabetes and Obesity International Journal

Keyhole Clinic - Center for Obesity and Laparoscopy
Keyhole Clinic - Center for Obesity and Laparoscopy

Metro Pillar No. 448, Edappally, Kochi
Tel: 9847296357 / +919645222401

www.keyholeclinic.in