Association of Surgeons of India, Kerala Chapter
Peripheral Meet 2019
Dr. Padmakumar was Faculty on “Endoscopic ( Keyhole) Neck Surgeries: Scarless thyroidetomy (endoscopic thyroid surgery), Parathyroidectomy and Thyroglossal cyst excision” at Peripheral Meet of Association of Surgeons of India (Kerala Chapter). The conference was held on 9th and 10th of February 2019 at Azeezia Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Kollam.
Endoscopic Thyroid Surgery
In Endoscopic Thyroidectomy, thyroid surgery is performed through a small skin incision made at the axilla. A video camera is used to provide vision of the internal structures on a monitor to carry out the surgery.
Parathyroid glands are small endocrine glands located in the neck at the back of the thyroid gland. Similar to endoscopic thyroidectomy, parathyroidectomy (parathyroid removal) can also be performed by the above method where incisions are made at the axilla. Instruments are inserted through these incisions to dissect and remove the parathyroid gland.
Thyroglossal cyst is a congenital cyst in front of the neck, just above the voice box.
- Demonstration and lectures on Endoscopic Thyroidectomy at PSG IMS&R by Dr. R. Padmakumar. PSG Institute of Medical Sciences and Research is a teaching hospital and research institute. It is located in Peelamedu, Coimbatore.
- Dr. Padmakumar as Operating Faculty for Endoscopic Thyroidectomy at BHU Varanasi (Banaras Hindu University). Banaras Hindu University is a public central university located in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. It claims the title of largest residential university in Asia.
- Dr Padmakumar as Faculty on Bariatric and Endoscopic Thyroidectomy at Bareen International Hospital, Abudhabi
- Invitation by Dubai Hospital for Endoscopic Thyroid Surgery
- Sultan Qaboos University – Dr. Padmakumar as Faculty at Sultan Qaboos University. Sultan Qaboos University is located in Al Khoudh in the Muscat Governorate and it is the only public university in the Sultanate of Oman.